Big Tent Tutorials: Joining Subgroups
You will probably want to join some sub-groups such as playgroups or activity groups to get the most out of your Sierra Moms membership. With anything in life, you get out of something what you put into it! Don’t miss out on all the fun opportunities you could have through our subgroups – they are one of the best ways to get to know other Sierra Moms. To see all of the great subgroups that Sierra Moms has to offer and to learn more about the ones of interest to you, follow these directions:
- Log in to BigTent.
- Navigate to the Sierra Moms main page:
- Click on the “subgroups” tab:
- A list of subgroups are shown. Some groups that are closed, such as playgroups that have reached maximum capacity or leadership team groups, may not be shown to non-members of those groups. A lock icon next to the group title indicates the group is closed to new members.
Click the “learn more & join” link next to the subgroup you want to join. A few groups, such as groups for leadership roles, may require moderator approval to join, and the link will be labeled “learn more” instead.
- Read about the group, and if would like to join the subgroup, click the link “Request an Invitation”.
- After clicking the request an invitation link, the page changes slightly, and you now need to click the link to continue signing up. A redundant copy of this link is also sent to your email in case you would like to complete the sign up process later instead. You may discard the email if you continue signing up immediately.
- Confirm what personal/contact information you would like to share with members of this subgroup. Having settings to control privacy on a per sub-group basis means you could share your full address with your favorite playgroup, without exposing it to all Sierra Moms members. These privacy settings can also be changed later on if desired.
- Confirm your email preferences and continue. This sets how often the subgroup will send you email, and what type of messages it will send you. “Email every topic” means every time someone in the group posts a message on its forum (or message board) for the subgroup, you will receive a copy of it in your email as soon as it is posted. “Daily Digest” means you will only get one email (per subgroup) with all of the messages from that day at once. You also can choose whether you want to recieve comments and replies to earlier forum posts by email, or only be notified when new threads (or topics) are added.
- At this point your membership in the subgroup is complete. You will be sent an automated welcome email confirming your membership in the subgroup. You are then taken to the “buzz” page for the subgroup, where you can read what’s been going on recently in that group. You may also wish to contact one of the group leaders by email or phone if you have additional questions about the group.