Big Tent Tutorial: Update Your User Profile
When you first register for an account on BigTent some personal information is collected and stored in your profile. However, you may realize later that you want to add an avatar (picture of yourself), or add information about who in your family and so on to help other Sierra Moms members get to know you better.
- Navigate to “my bigtent” and then “settings”
- On the “personal info” tab that appears, you can change the information about yourself, such as your profile picture/avatar. When you click “change” a pop up screen will appear asking you to select a file off your computer or to enter a URL where your picture is already online.
- Click the SAVE button after you have edited your information to make your changes permanant.
- On the left side of the screen there are additional tabs such as “contact info” and “family info”, where you can change or add additional information to your profile about you or your family.
On the “personal info ” tab, you can edit the following information:
- Profile picture—This is your default profile picture and will be shared with all groups unless you specify otherwise.
- About me—This information will be found on your profile for all members to read about you.
- Interests and affiliations tags—These allow you to add more personal information in those categories. Tags are like keywords. Once you have listed some of your interests and affiliations, they will show up on your profile page. You can click on any listed tag to find other members with your same interests.
- Your Flickr username—Enter this information to share your Flickr photos on your BigTent profile. Note: If you encounter a problem with linking your Flickr photos to your profile page, please make sure that you used your Flickr username, not the email address you use to log into Flickr. Also, check to make sure photos in your Flickr account are publicly viewable vs. private. If you don’t recognize the photos on your profile page it may be that you entered an incorrect Flickr username.
On the “contact info” tab, you can edit the following information:
- Your email address—To change your email address, you’ll need to first add and verify the new one.
- Phone numbers (work, cell, and home).
- Address—In order to change your address, you’ll need to add another first, and then delete the old address. On the “family info” page, you can edit:
- Adult family members—Add spouses, partners, relatives, etc. You can also add small photo (avatars) for each, as well as gender and birthday.
- Children—Add children or due dates for expected children. You can add small photos (avatars) for each child, and can indicate gender, birthday and graduation year, as well as whether children are singletons or multiples.
- Pets—Add small photos (avatars), names, type of pet, gender and birthday for each pet, if desired.
- Note: To remove a family member, click “Remove member” and choose the family member or pet to remove.
Choose who sees what information
You can control which members of which groups see any particular piece of information as well. For example, you can choose to share your email address with your fellow Sierra Moms members, but hide it from members of your neighborhood association (assuming they also use BigTent).Sharing as much information as possible to other Sierra Moms members will make it easier for your Sierra Moms friends to contact you.
BigTent uses encryption in order to protect your privacy. Any pages that display your sensitive information such as accounting, membership database, sign in, payments or member list are encrypted just like the pages of an online banking site. Third party advertisers have no access to your personal profile information or user content stored on the BigTent Site unless it is in an aggregated format and/or non-personally identifiable.
If you have any questions or suggestions related to BigTent, please contact our current BigTent Coordinator.